Thursday, January 15, 2009

Some good thoughts...

So, I have a daily calendar with thoughts on it-- and this year's is all about moms, being a mom, funny mom moments, etc. So, I may share a few when I really enjoy them. Here are a couple that I thought were really good....

"Whatever the era, whatever the times, one thing will never change: fathers and mothers...children must come first. Your success as a family--our success as a society--depends not on what happens in the White House, but what happens inside your house." --Barbara Bush


Another one I enjoyed is today's thought---entitled Live in the Moment.
Author Anna Quindlen can recall many moments as a mother that have been enshrined in the Remember-When-Mom-Did Hall of Fame. Among them, she says, are "the outbursts, the temper tantrums, the bad language--mine, not theirs. The times the baby fell off the bed. The times I arrived late for preschool pickup. The nightmare sleepover. The horrible summer camp. The day when the youngest came barreling out of the classroom with a 98 on her geography test, and I responded, 'What did you get wrong?' The time I ordered food at the McDonald's drive-through speaker and drove away without picking it up. The biggest mistake I made is the one most of us make: I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone."

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one with that kind of hall of fame. It made me smile-- but also remember that I need to do better at living in the moment, too. The saying "this too shall pass..." comes to mind often when you have a house that's a disaster more often than not, and you feel like you've yelled more often than hugged. I hope we can all remember to live in the moment-- and not let those moments pass by unnoticed.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I needed a reminder like this today. Hope you guys are doing well. We miss you.....

Lisa